Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Look what I found...

A number of years ago on a Spring Training trip to Arizona...I discovered a love of cactus and succulents...now... I have mostly a cottage type garden...so I thought I could create a miniature cactus garden in a box next to my front porch...they seem to do pretty well out there and the succulents bloom all Spring long... I have a big one blooming now...but to my surprise I found this yesterday when I went out to check the mail...
This pretty flower is growing right out the side of one of the cacti...pretty cool...I got that cactus at the Phoenix Botanical garden about three years ago and it was really small and only had two stems...it now has five stems...if that's what you call them and it's getting a nice size...but a flower...yippee!!
Here's the flower straight on...it's actually a bit brighter orange than my picture shows...sometimes my picture taking isn't the greatest...
Here's the reason I started this little garden...the Sagura cactus...they are one of the things I love to see in Arizona...who knew...we got this one about 5 or 6 years ago and we were told it was 8 years old then...they grow very slowly and can live 150 years or more! In fact we were told that they don't even get a beginning of an arm until they are at least 75 years old...
Here's a few of the succulents I have collected over the last few years for my planter...


As much as I love cottage gardens...I must say these guys fascinate me...they are so beautiful...and so easy to care for...they seem to take anything the weather throws at them...
I am still very busy sewing for the October and December craft fairs...I am hoping that people will come and like what I bring...this is a new experience for me...
I will show you some of the things I am working on at a later time...busy, busy right now!!
Enjoy your day!!!

16 comments:

yodafatkitty said...

Oh how cool. I love surprises like that! I've got a couple epyphyllums (sp) that I hope will some day bloom. I've only been waiting 5 years or so.

mountain mama said...

oh, i love succulents too! we saw some growing wild in idaho! had no idea!

Traci said...

So pretty! I love stuff that you don't see everywhere!

Beverly said...

Who knew a prickly "stem" could produce such a delicate beauty. The only succulents I have had luck with is Hen and Chicks (I think that's what it's called.) My mom had a Christmas Cactus that flowered once a year...I killed it. Probably overwatered. I tend to do that.
Your box is even prettier with it's new flower.
Just let me know if you and Deb decide to have a sewing day...

Holly said...

Wow! Yours look great! They are so easy to take care of. I've never watered mine and they are still going strong, that's my kind of gardening.

Christine said...

They look amazing!
Hope you enjoy this new experience! It's sure to go well as your work displayed on your sidebar is wonderful!

Michelle said...

I love the succulents, but what a great surprise with the flower.

Googy Girl said...

what a lovely collection, the flower is very cute, we used to have this huge cactus in the back yard, it would flower at night....sadly we removed it when we landscaped the back yard....

MARCIE said...

This is a darling garden! I will be moving, in stages, to Mesa, AZ. You have inspired me to try the same thing! Very neat to see a little flower spring out!

Kathy Walker said...

Love the succulents! They look so healthy and happy!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Your cactuses and succulents are so pretty, Linda! I have a windowsill full of them, also. A couple were bought by my son at a school plant sale when his was 5 and now he is almost 30 years older! They certainly have long lives!

Good luck with the craft fairs--I can't imagine people not loving your bags!

Angela said...

Those are some of my favorite plants, too! Love them!
Angela

LindyLouMac said...

Interesting as I never used to like succulents myself, but since moving to Italy I have learnt to enjoy them and get so excited when they flower. :)

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

Beautiful Plants !

Lavender and Linen said...

I love succulents!

Siobhán said...

I was never big into succulents but am learning more about them & trying to buy more. I know these are the common folk of the succulent world, but I love Christmas cacti, probably because I have yet to kill one. There's not that many plants that can say they've escaped my brown thumb, but that's one of 'em.