Monday, May 9, 2011

I had a great time!!

Yesterday started out very dreary in my neck of the woods...in fact...it was raining! But we had plans...and we didn't feel like changing them. Our boys couldn't join us...but we are OK on our own...we stopped in at the local cafe for a quick breakfast ...and off we went...

To Pasadena! The Pasadena Rose Bowl Flea Market to be exact...one of our favorite places to go! The flea market is held the second Sunday of each month...rain or shine...so we packed our umbrellas...and off we went...




The Rose Bowl is located in the very west part of Pasadena...in a canyon...it is surrounded by old buildings...



the famous Suicide Bridge...I don't know the real name of this bridge...when I grew up in this area...that's what it was always called because in the old days so many people jumped to their deaths here...kind of creepy...huh!




And beautiful homes...these hills are full of million dollar plus homes....



But we are here to enjoy the flea market...





All the usual people were there to greet us...this guy even made a special turn for me so I could take his picture...


And he tried to stay still so I could snap his...now time to go inside and see what we can haggle for...there's everything here you can imagine...



Giant penguins...



Is that Santa I see doing some early shopping?





A seat to an old carosel...interesting...lots more to see...we spent hours walking around...looking for just the right treasures to bring home...





Tome to go now...we're off to my sister's house for a visit with family...



But first...time to see what we got...a red Radio Flyer bike for Stella...she's a bit small for it now...but soon...she'll be off!




Great Grandma helped her try it out...she really seemed to like it...soon enough she will be riding around on it!




Don spotted some Hummels...I have been collecting them for years...he got this one for me.. he went on line this morning and found the name...Joyful...that's a perfect name for how I feel about this little darling! I looked up the marks on the bottom and it is from the 1950-1970 era...she's perfect! Thanks Don!!


These caught my eye right away...they are coasters...made form snapshots of vintage match books. The man that makes them told me that he has been collecting old match books from places all around Southern California...he photographs them and turns them into coasters...what a clever idea! These were special to me...because my parents owned Sunset Bowl when I was young...before it was torn down...I have some great memories in that place...I share those times with my sisters...and luckily...there were a couple more coasters...I bought them each one of their own!




There were lots of vintage pillow cases and table cloths too...I found this one to be quite fun...I'm not sure if I'll use it as a table topper...or re-purpose it.





I found lots of buttons too...I love buttons! These are some great silver and shell buttons...they will be wonderful layered on a bag!



I had a great time yesterday...thanks, Don!! You are the best!!






Enjoy the day, my friends!!



































10 comments:

Yvette said...

Now that looks like a fun day! I have never been to the flea market, I really should make the trip one day.

Holly said...

Sounds like a great day! Love the tricycle. Very cute. I've been looking for one to put in my back yard to old some potted flowers. Have a great day!

Kris said...

Fun stuff. Love the trike. Stella will too!!!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

It looks like a fun day filled with lots of neat treasures, Linda. How nice to find graphic images from your parent's bowling alley -- that was a nice surprise for you. I love the Hummel and tricycle Don found.

deb said...

I LOVE my coaster, and Stella loves her bike, she was all over it this morning, I took pics but then after she left I went to upload them and they werent there!!!!!

Michelle said...

Looks like a perfect kind of day!!! I would love to go there.

Anonymous said...

Whoohoo,I would love to eat @ the Rose Bowl,yum!
And I'm glad you enjoyed the flea market,I know I would have too!
~JO
LazyonLoblolly

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to know that you had a good day! Many more to come I wish for you!

Traci said...

It sounds like a wonderful day! I love the giant penguin!!

Sue said...

Well that looks like a fun day! I can't believe you found a Hummel at a flea market. I have that little one. My husband bought me a few when we were first married (way back then). I'm so glad you had a good day!