Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A view from my back porch...

Here's our back porch...or patio as some people call it...it is a comfortable place to sit just about anytime. It has a fully covered top and stays dry in the winter and shady in the summer. It is a nice place to sit and relax with Don on summer evenings...or work on a stitchery during the day...or just sit and watch the birds as they play in the yard...
This is a view of our back yard...it's not a big back yard by many standards...but for a Southern California suburb...it is just right...it's our secret garden in so many ways...we can't see to much of what is going on around us when we are back here. Our house sits in the middle of the property... our front yard is as large as the back...I've often wished for a smaller front for a larger back...but it served us well when the boys were young...the front lawn made a great football and baseball field!




Here's a view from the back porch...it is morning and the sun is bright...but I get a lot of shade back here...which is wonderful on those hot summer days we have here...






This is part of the really shady part of the yard...under the apple tree on the west side of my house...we have lots of hostas coming out of their sleep right now and I planted some fresh inpatients...there are azaleas, primrose and lambs ear too...it is a wonderful place to be when it's hot outside! Speaking of hot...it's supposed to get up to 96 here today...it was 90 yesterday...that's just too hot for this early in the year! But it is only supposed to last a few days...thankfully!

I truly am an outdoors girl...meaning I'm happier outside than in...and yesterday when I was gardening I spent some time watching the bees buzz around the lavender that I was trimming and then noticed that the carpenter bees have returned from wherever they go during the winter...they were happy in the autumn sage...so I made...





this little bag to honor my bee friends! Many of my designs come from nature...well...the nature in my yard any ways...so when it's too hot to play outside...I can play inside with my sewing machine on some delightful fabrics and then go out and hand stitch something...what a great life! I am so blessed to be able to do this at this time in my life...I added this little bag to my Etsy shop...I hope it finds a nice new home!

Have a great day, my friends...I hope you can enjoy whatever it is you are doing today!










15 comments:

Lavender and Linen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LindyLouMac said...

We would also call it a porch as it is covered, a patio or terrace is an uncovered area. I think your flower border looks wonderful a well tended and loved garden.

Lavender and Linen said...

Your flowers and porch are lovely!

Angela said...

Your back garden is gorgeous! I so wish I had your weather year round so we could grow some of the lovely things you can in SO CA. Your bag is super cute!
Have a great day!
Angela

Cyndi said...

Hey Linda! Oh my gosh, your yard is just absolutely beautiful! You are a true Master Gardner, my friend. I used to be really active outside, too, and did lots of gardening. But I haven't done so much in the past few years...and now my knee is preventing me from doing much at all! :o( My azaleas and columbine are blooming right now... and my lilacs are trying...but we have had so much cold, wet weather, Spring is having a hard time springing!

Love that cute little "bee bag"! I'm sure it's going to find just the right home soon!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Anonymous said...

Hey friend,your "outdoor living space" & "garden lawn" is fantastic,I just imagine you enjoying.
And all your totes are awesome!
~JO
LazyonLoblolly

Traci said...

You're flowers are really pretty. We're having unusual weather too. Yesterday, the high was 55 & this morning it was 44. A record for us for this time of year.

Terry said...

You have a lovely porch and back yard! And that bag is just so cute! I love it! :0)

deb said...

that bag is one of my favs. so cute. Your back yard is BIG by my standards...and the prettiest yard around...a wonderful place to just relax!!!!!

My Shabby Streamside Studio said...

Thanks so much for your kind comment on my sweet peas! Enjoy the bounty of California.

Thanks for your kind comments on my blog.

Bisous,

Sandy Foster
My Shabby Streamside Studio
http://www.myshabbystreamsidestudio.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

So beautiful and dry/sunshiney! No rain in sight, which is a lovely thing to see!

Linda said...

Wow your yard looks just beautiful with all the blooms! No blooms here...almost. :-) love the bag!

Kris said...

So pretty and peaceful Linda! I hope to see it in real life too. Didn't you go sew with Deb today? It was hot again, and I agree, too hot for this early in the year. But I, like you, would much rather be, and am, outside when it is nice like this. I just wish I had more time to sit and relax. It seems I am always doing!!!

Anonymous said...

You have a terrific back porch to see the garden and what a view it is! Love the color of the bag.

Beverly said...

You have a beautiful yard and I can imagine you sitting and stitching on your patio. Cute bee bag too. Someone will snap that up from Etsy.