Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Spring is back!!

I think Spring may be back for good according to the long term weather forecast...it has been quite nice in my parts the last few days. I just came in from a little gardening ...5 hours worth...I can't help it...I love to garden...and it was really nice out...a little hazy, but it's only about 72 in my yard. This is a little Red Japanese Maple I have on the east side of my yard. It gets shaded in the afternoon by our garage and it seems to like it here. It is about 3 years old now. I had wanted one of these for so long and now we have 2!! The color on it is such a vibrant red...I don't think my camera does it justice. It will turn a bit green in the Summer and them back to red in Autumn before it sheds it's leaves. On that same side of my yard in the sun...we have lots of flowers in bloom...here's some of them...
The purple violas have just taken over...I just wish I could get the other colors to do as well...I get so many seeds from these too!
Here's that same side of our yard going to the back yard...it has 4 White Birch trees... they are the multi trunk kind...they were planted at the same time as the Japanese Maple...we lost a large tree on that side and decided to redo the area...I'm so happy with it now...the moss is starting to come back now too...I always lose some in the winter, but it comes right back and keeps everything so cool out there under the shade of the trees...
Across from the Birch trees in a little planter I have a mix of vegetables and flowers. These are Sugar Snap Peas and their time of production will be over pretty soon as it warms up. I planted some cucumber seedlings in there under the peas and they will take over when the peas are gone. I like having a crop going there as often as I can. I have radishes in front of the peas.
It's artichoke season again too! We love artichokes at our house...our sons grew up with these as a special treat! They still are...We have 3 growing now...I hope we see some more soon! last year I think we got close to 30 for the season...it was wonderful!!
I have ranuculous...I can't spell... growing all over the place and some of them have gotten so many flowers that they won't even stand up straight, so I cut some to put on the window sill in the kitchen...don't look at my dirty windows...with so much rain ....they need a good cleaning!!

I have been pretty busy the last couple months inside and now it's time to be busy outside. I started walking again...I had a bum heel for months and it hurt to put shoes on, so I didn't want to push it, but it feels pretty much better now, but now my right leg is giving me trouble...I think it may be my knee...can you strain a knee sewing?? That's the leg I use for the pedal...maybe I wore it out...I have been sewing a lot lately!! Anyway...I decided to just use the tread mill and that way if my knee hurts I can stop and go and rest instead of being a couple miles away from home and then in pain...oh it's such a pain getting older!!

On another note...I just went outside to change the sprinklers...I'm giving my lawn a bit of water and I haven't the heart to change them quite yet because there are about 10 little birds taking a shower in them! I do have a bird bath!! Do you think they use that...no they only drink from it! Well a couple extra minutes won't hurt I guess!

Enjoy your day, my friends...I hope there is Spring where you are!!

13 comments:

Donnie said...

What a lovely yard you have and everything is so lush. Glad your heel is better at our ages it's always something.

Sharing with Sherri said...

My goodness you HAVE been busy! No wonder your knees are aching! Your side yard with the Japanese Maple looks so pretty and tranquil...
I have always wanted one of those trees myself.
How wonderful to have artichokes in your garden too! My hubby and I love those also but usually they are too expensive at the market but, we always buy them up when they are on sale!

Thank you for coming by, and for sharing a peek at the results of all your hard work...

I spent the day weeding my flower bed the other day and then was sooo sore I could barely move! So I treated myself afterward to a long hot soak in the tub with bath salts, candles, and lots of bubbles. Then some ice cream!
Hope you treat yourself to something nice to make you feel a bit better too!

Take care,
Hugs, Sherri:)

Yvette said...

You have a green thumb! Just beautiful.

Michelle said...

Such beautiful colors! We are finally having some warmer temps and flowers will be out soon. PTL!

Kris said...

Hi Linda. Hasn't it been great gardening weather! I am loving it too. You and I both with the bum knees!!! I am almost certain I have a torn miniscus. I need to rest it, but I so want to walk!! You are like me with the birds and the water, and all. I would (and do) do the same!!

deb said...

having just seen your yard the other day I can attest to the fact that it is the prettiest yard I have ever seen !

Cyndi said...

Oh Linda, your garden is sooooo beautiful. And I am so jealous because I, too, love to garden but am not able to do what I want because of my bum knee. I'm having to call a landscaper this year to come in and clean out and mulch my beds. Hopefully I'll be able to get things planted and maintain it after that.

And here, the hummingbirds love to bathe themselves when I have the sprinklers going. It's so fun to watch them zip in and out of the water... they love it!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Beverly said...

I love seeing pictures of your beautiful yard. You have such a green thumb. And vegetables too.
Love birch trees and miss mine. They were the background for many family pictures.
Yes, I think your knee problem could be from the sewing you do. I am having cramps in my pedal foot right now, so stopped to do a little blog reading...now my carpel tunnel is bothering me...yep this getting old is for the birds.

Rosie Gan said...

Love your spring lovelies.
Rosie

Anonymous said...

Your gardens are gorgeous, Linda!

Thanks so much for stopping by the Back Porch.

Traci said...

Everything looks sooo pretty! I've always wanted a Japanese Maple but I can't figure out a good place to put it. You could have tenonitis in your knee. Before Christmas I had it in my hand from using scissors. My physical therapist friend said anywhere you have a tendon & do repitive motion can get it. I had to wear a brace for like 8 wks. before it felt better. Thanks for visiting me! While I love flowers & plants, I love clothes, jewelry & ESPECIALLY shoes too!!!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for sharing your garden with us. The ranuculous blooms are so pretty. I bought some a couple of years ago and did not have any luck with them.
Thanks for stopping by and nice comment.
Enjoy your evening.

LindyLouMac said...

The second photo is my favourite of the flowers framed against the wall.