Thursday, December 2, 2010

Feeding the birds...

Have I mentioned that I love to watch all the birds that visit my yard each day....I feed quite a variety of birds...these are the sparrows that wait for breakfast each morning...they go on quite a feeding frenzy in the morning...there are lots of them...
Until this beauty shows up...she is looking for breakfast too...I guess I sort of feed her too!

She is a Coopers Hawk and she eats birds...like the sparrows and finches that get nice and fat from all the seeds I provide! Don named her Gary...even though we now know she's a girl...it stuck...anyway Gary Cooper loves to visit my yard...she's a beauty!


I can't get enough of my birch trees this time of year. These are on the side of my house in the back yard...they get more shade so they are a bit later in changing color.




Here's a couple more on the side near the front gate. A couple of them are still pretty green...



These are in the back yard...they get more sun and so they are brighter yellow...in the morning and late afternoon when they are in a bit of shade they glow...it's hard to tell in the picture...but they are glowing...I took this photo at about 8AM this morning and it was so quiet in my yard...I think Gary is still hungry!
Enjoy your day, my friends...and take time to stop and notice what's in your yard...you'd be surprised and delighted at the beauty in your own yard!






10 comments:

Loris said...

Love your photos of your trees and birds. Wish Gary would 're-think' his DNA...really! eating birds? How could he when they are so cute! You can tell I grew up in the city :-)
We get to see white egrets and one blue heron when we go out to walk the dogs. oh yes, and a red tail hawk or two and well, a few more birds.
Birds make for a nice lovely world.

betty-NZ said...

Gary Cooper....love it!! she's gorgeous as are all you friends and trees. Thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

I once knew a woman named Gary. Her parents had only one child and wanted a boy. She was good natured about it, but I always wondered how she REALLY felt.

Thanks for your visit. Loved your pics!

LindyLouMac said...

Wow I am impressed that you got such a close up photo of the hawk.

Judy S. said...

Nice photos, Linda. It looks like Gary has a good thing going there...... She is beautiful though.

deb said...

omg so sad for the little birdies...shame on you Gary Cooper....cant you just eat snakes?

NatureFootstep said...

so nice to be visited by a hawk. :)

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I love the sound of the birds in our yard early in the morning. Now that the snow is falling, we don't hear them; I look forward to spring!

mountain mama said...

beautiful pics. watching birds is so relaxing and peaceful!

Cyndi said...

I love birds, too, Linda, and spend a lot of time watching them at my feeders. In fact, some days I do it all day long and get nothing else accomplished! One day I'll have to tell you about my pet sparrow that lived to be 11 years old!

What a fun name for the hawk...Gary Cooper! Your hubby has a great sense of humor. We had a Peregrine Falcon that used to hang out in our yard at our old house. It was the most fascinating bird I have ever seen... so darn fast! It would perch in the big old tree right outside our upstairs bedroom window and I could watch it from about 3 feet away...amazing!

Love all the photos of your birch trees...they are beautiful!

XOXO,

Cyndi