Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Outdoors Wednesday

Lately it seems as though all of the pictures posted here have been of the flowers in my yard. I do love all the flowers, but I have some even more prized possessions and those are my trees! This is a red Japanese maple on the side front yard. It needs shade in the afternoon. I can't tell you how long I have wanted Japanese maples, especially the red ones...and now I have two!
Here are some of the lovely girls on the side of my house. The are multi trunked birch trees. I can look out my kitchen window and see these lovelies all the time. In fact, I leave my blind open all day so I can glance at them whenever I desire!


Here are a couple more birch trees and another red Japanese maple. It is not quite filled in yet. I love the way the colors contrast with each other.

This is the view from under my apple tree. This is the biggest and oldest tree in my yard. We planted it the first year we moved here, over 26 years ago. This tree is my best friend and worst enemy depending on the season or day of the week. Right now she is loaded down with apples, which is so much work. But the apples make the best apple pies and crisp...oh are they juicy and just the right hint of sour and sweet! This tree gives us fruit in the summer, unlike most apple trees. She is a bit of a high maintenance girl, but I have to say very worth it. She is filled with all kinds of birds in the daytime and shades so much of the house and yard. I guess today she is my best friend....but oh when my husbands shakes her and all the apples fall...

I am trying to link up with other Outdoor Wednesday sites and have had a bit of difficulty, but go check out Suzanne and she'll give you the scoop.



6 comments:

936000 said...

Your link worked fine for me and I'm so glad it did-your post is just lovely! I found myself smiling and nodding as i read. I, too, love the contrast of the jrm against the birch and i also have an apple tree that i spend most of my summer weekends under!
Wonderful post and have a great rest of the week.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

We have some Japanese Maple too and they are sooo pretty. Love your outside plants.

deb said...

great post, and I love your apple tree toooooo....especially all the apple crisps!!!!!!!

Judy S. said...

Loved all your flower photos, the trees, too. What kind of apple tree do you have?

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful photos, I love the red japanese maple too.

Beverly said...

Loved your tree pictures. I would love to have a red Japanese Maple. It does look great standing along side your birches. I have 3 birch tree I can see outside my sewing room window. I love the way they move with a breeze. Also love them in the winter with no leaves.
Thanks for sharing your trees. It made a good post.